Monday, November 10, 2008

The last few weeks have been pretty busy for me at work. Some of the trips that I have done in the past have given me a chance to snap a few pictures on my phone of some things that I found interesting. You see, when we are out on a trip, my job is to get people where they want to be and then home safely. However, the time between those flights is pretty much mine to do what I want.

Take for example last Friday. The trip was to Manasses VA, just outside of Washington D.C. Lance (one of the other pilots at Airsouth) and I were to pick up three passengers at 7:00 pm. We left Jonesboro empty and because we figured we could kill a few hours there better than we could in Jonesboro, we left at lunch. By 2:00 we were in Manasses. If you are a history buff, you may remember that Manasses was the site of the first major battle of the civil war.

(Aside - the confederates named battles after the town nearby, Manasses. The union usually named the battle after a nearby body of water - Bull Run)

So Lance and I decided to get a look at this Historic Battle Field.

This is where Thomas Jackson rode up to rally troops. Another Soldier said "There stands Jackson as a stone wall..."thus he became Gen."Stonewall" Jackson.

Here are some pics from other recent trips

You probably know this guy. This was the day of the Obama rally in Jonesboro. We picked up some staffers in Pine Bluff and brought them to Jonesboro. After the rally we took some of the Congressmen back to Little Rock. The best part was getting to talk to the secret service guy on the airplane Clinton was on. Oh, the airplane in the background is the Hawker 4oo aka Beechjet that I fly.

This is the Mackinac Bridge. It connects the Northern Peninsula of Michigan to the South. It is HUGE!

A cool covered Bridge near Lewisberg WV.

A good thing the leaves were pretty, because there is NOTHING to do in Lewisberg. We were there for 4 Days. Lest you think that all I do is drive around and look at cool stuff, let me say that some days are not so much fun. My day today started at the airport at 6 am. From Jonesboro it was a slow 3 hours to Galveston TX. Here are the pictures I was able to get before the rain got to bad.


Here was one of the buildings at the airport. Apparently, this is what most of Galveston looks like after Ike.

From about 10:00 until 2:00 pm this was my view.
I am typing this in a Holiday Inn at McKinney Texas. McKinney is probably my most common destination. It is a suburb of Dallas that was apparently nothing a few years ago and has exploded over the last ten years. Optus communications has an office in North Dallas and the airport here at McKinney is a lot easier to get in and out of, both by the air and on the ground. Anyway, today's trip started at 6:00, airborne at 7:00. I made it to the hotel at 7:30 PM and it has been storming all day. Not a fun day to fly, but the others make up for it.

I guess that will wrap it up. I know that was a huge post but I had so much to start with. I promise I will keep the posts smaller as I do them on a trip by trip basis.

3 comments:

Amy Barrett said...

I wouldn't have figured you to be a blogger - but I wouldn't have figured Burt to be one either and he does too! Very interesting post. I'm intrigued about what will be next!

Theron's Mom said...

Yeah! A new blogger!! Now I can actually keep up with where you are at!

jo garner said...

this is good. i love looking at the pictures of the places you've been. i hope you do a better job keeping the house updated than your derilic wife!